Wednesday 27 March 2013

IT IS ME



Hi, I just want to say...that it’s me who is not feeling well.

It is not 10 percent or 2 percent or something like that.

It is me!



For example, it is not only in other places that children

are at risk of being exploited.

It is I who am at risk!

And...neither is it 1 million children living in prostitution, nor 19 million people who are poor. For that matter, it’s not just 5 million teenage girls who become pregnant every year.

It is me!



1/5 of the population in the world lives on less than 1 US$ a day and 60-80 of the girls growing up in institutions become prostitutes...

But in real life it’s me!



You can say that in 1995, 30 million children

lost both their parents in AIDS.

Guess who was one of those 30 million children?
It is not true that 1 million children are drawn into

commercial sexual exploitation every year.

It’s me!



It is not true that many children are afraid of being left to live in the streets. It frightens me!

I am afraid of it...

And it is not true that many of the teenagers today are afraid of being abused and neglected.

It is I who am afraid.



It is never “a few percent” or “some” or “one million”

who have problems.

It’s always somebody, it’s me...



Source:

Farid, M. (2000) Eksploitasi Seksual Komersial Anak: Tantangan bagi Indonesia. In: S. Sularto, ed. Seandainya Aku Bukan Anakmu: Potret Kehidupan Anak Indonesia. Jakarta: Kompas, pp. 126-137

No comments:

Post a Comment